Of those who possessed firearms in the crimes they were currently doing time for, nearly 90 percent got their guns in ways that didn’t involve retail sales. The remaining 10 percent obtained guns through various other methods and “about 1.3% of prisoners obtained a gun from a retail source and used it during their offense.” Frequently, criminals admitted getting their guns by stealing them, with some claiming to have found the guns at the scene of the crime. Many also got their guns off the street in the form of an underground market. As for the so-called “gun show loophole,” only 0.8 percent reported getting their guns from gun shows.
Takeaway: criminals do criminal acts to get their hands on guns. Hence, implementing further gun control laws seems unlikely to help matters.
States with strict gun control laws in place don’t necessarily have lower overall crime rates. For example, the state with the most school shootings is California, which, while it is the most populous state, has some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the country.
And as other countries have discovered, people intent on carrying out violent acts will do so with or without access to firearms. In China, where firearms are heavily restricted, mass stabbings and edged-weapon-related murders are a serious problem. Perhaps it’s worth considering that rather than the weapon itself, the problem may instead be related to the criminal who is intent on using a weapon to harm others, regardless of existing laws.
Self-Defense Shooting Statistics
There’s a popular phrase in the gun world that says, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” It might be a cliché, but it does hold some truth.
A 2021 National Firearms Survey conducted by William English, PhD of the Georgetown University McDonough School of Business found that approximately one-third of gun owners report having used their firearms in self-defensein some capacity. The same study reported the overwhelming majority—81.9%—of encounters ended with no shots fired. If you examine some other studies on defensive firearms use, they seem to look at use ending in death, not defensive use as a whole.
It’s important to remember there are practically endless examples out there of good guys with legally owned firearmsprotecting not only themselves and their loved ones from immediate threats, but also members of law enforcement.
Owning a firearm doesn’t make you immune to danger and shouldn’t be seen as an absolute shield. It’s a tool that may be used to defend yourself from an immediate, potentially life-threatening attack. Having Legal Defense for Self Defense® from U.S. LawShield® is a good idea for law-abiding gun owners. With a membership, you have access to qualified Independent Program Attorneys who can answer your questions about self-defense laws, including the use of firearms, and should the worst-case scenario take place, you can immediately reach out for help. Take a closer look at a U.S. LawShield® membership by clicking here.
The information provided in this publication is intended to provide general information to individuals and is not legal advice. The information included in this publication may not be quoted or referred to in any other publication without the prior written consent of U.S. LawShield, to be given or withheld at our discretion. The information is not a substitute for, and does not replace the advice or representation of a licensed attorney. We strive to ensure the information included in this publication is accurate and current, however, no claim is made to the accuracy of the information and we are not responsible for any consequences that may result from the use of information in this publication. The use of this publication does not create an attorney-client relationship between U.S. LawShield, any independent program attorney, and any individual.